Re: [Plperlng-devel] Re: Concern about new PL/Perl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [Plperlng-devel] Re: Concern about new PL/Perl
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew, Peter,

> >It seems that in the new PL/Perl, the result of the spi_exec_query
> >function changes in meaning depending on the command.  For a SELECT,
> >the value of
> >
> >$res->{rows}
> >
> >is a reference to an array of the result rows.
> >
> >For a different command
> >
> >$res->{rows}
> >
> >is a scalar containing the number of affected rows.  I think this is a
> >poor design.  Couldn't we have a different result field that always
> >contains the number of rows?

Hmmm ... while contextual data changes is perlish, substituting a scalar for
an arrayref is going a little far.    I agree with Peter, if the second # is
needed, {nrows} makes more sense.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions