Re: sp-gist porting to postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ramy M. Hassan
Subject Re: sp-gist porting to postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I believe that it is still possible to have several index access methods for
the same type and the same operations. But this requires that each index
access method has its own tuple in the pg_am relation and therefore
postgresql recognizes it by itself. But this is not the case with GiST based
indices. They are all recognized by postgresql as same index access method,
and from here comes the limitation.

Also, I think GiST and SP-GiST are better viewed as index classes not as
indices by themselves. So may be it is more logical to say:
CREATE INDEX index_name ON table_name USING spgist_trie(field)
Where spgist_trie is an spgist based index instance.

Than to say:
CREATE INDEX index_name ON table_name USING spgist(field)
And depend on the operator classes to define the required support methods
for the trie function.

I am not sure I have a complete vision, but this is what I see. I would
appreciate your opinions regarding to this design issue.

Thanks
Ramy