Re: basic debugging question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: basic debugging question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 12:39:46PM -0700, Scott Frankel wrote:

> I'm attempting to debug a script that should perform a simple INSERT of
> values,
> but for some reason doesn't.  The insert appears to occur without
> error, printing
> "INSERT 18015 1 upon completion."  Nonetheless, no data values appear
> to be
> added to the table when queried in psql.

Wild stab: did you do it within a transaction and not commit. Note that
some database interfaces automatically start a transaction. Look for
"autocommit" or "commit".

> Questions:
>
> - What does the status msg, "INSERT 18015 1," refer to?

The first is the OID of the row, the second is the number of rows
inserted.

> - What is this output called?  (So I can search the documentation for
> it.)

No idea, it's generated by psql. In a database interface you can get
the values directly.

Hope this helps,

Attachment