Re: converting database to unicode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: converting database to unicode
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 09:36:42AM -0500, Jason Tesser wrote:
> Uhh no.  Could you help me understand how to do that.  I am currently using the following to dump and restore
> pg_dump -Fc --username=xxx --dbanme=xxx filename
> pg_restore -Fc --username=xxx --dbname filename

Something like

pg_dump --username=xxx --dbname=yyy filename
recode latin1..utf8 filename
createdb -E utf8 database
psql < filename

(assuming the database is Latin1, a.k.a. iso-8859-1.  Update accordingly.)

I don't think you can do it with a -Fc or -Ft format.  In fact, if you
do that, the dump will be corrupted.

Huh, now I know why your name was so familiar to me (see sig)

Jason Tesser: You might not have understood me or I am not understanding you.
Paul Thomas: It feels like we're 2 people divided by a common language...