Re: Possibly stupid questions re: large tables/files, port 5432 access - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Possibly stupid questions re: large tables/files, port 5432 access
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 02:00:51PM -0700, Michael Holden wrote:

> There is a file located at
>
>  /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/26920/
>
> named 35987 that is roughly 750mb. Is there any way to find out what
> table or database this file belongs to?

Sure, use contrib/oid2name.

> I really shouldn't have that much data in any of my tables, so I'm
> fairly certain that this is a bug in my code.

Do you run VACUUM regularly?

> Also, I'd like to use the EMS front end for managing my database, but
> it seems that port 5432 isn't enabled, or my server isn't accepting
> connections on that port.

Look for the tcpip_socket option in postgresql.conf.

"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values
or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
(Samuel P. Huntington)