Re: How to debug pl/pgSQL -script? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: How to debug pl/pgSQL -script?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 03:05:14PM +0200, Henriksen, Jonas F wrote:

> I'm writing some simple triggers and functions for a postgres
> database, and I'm wondering how to go about to debug a
> pl/pgSQL-script. Is there a way to echo variable-content to screen, or
> to file? Or is there other, more advanced ways of debugging such
> scripts?

Yes, use RAISE NOTICE.  See the docs -- it takes a string which can have
% in them, like printf %-escapes but without the modifiers.

"Postgres is bloatware by design: it was built to house
PhD theses." (Joey Hellerstein, SIGMOD annual conference 2002)