Re: SSL Support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: SSL Support
Date
Re: SSL Support  (dom@happygiraffe.net (Dominic Mitchell))
List pgsql-hackers

pgsql-patches@postgresql.org

>   In initialize_SSL(), we call SSL_CTX_set_verify(), but we don't pass
>   in the SSL_VERIFY_FAIL_IF_NO_PEER_CERT flag.  This means that a client
>   can present no certificate and still get access to the server.

Client-side certificates as an authentication mechanism are not intended to be
supported.  It might be a nice feature to add, though.

>   There's nothing that gets logged to say that an SSL connection was
>   made.  This would be useful for testing.  Something like logging the
>   connection as "1.2.3.4/ssl"?

That seems reasonable.

>   In initialize_SSL(), we call SSL_CTX_set_verify_depth(SSL_context, 1).
>   This should probably be a configurable item.  I /think/ it might be
>   stopping me from successfully verifying the server certificate is
>   signed by the CA listed in my client's root.crt file, but I'm not
>   sure.

I think verification of the server certificates is not supported either.  SSL
only serves for encryption, not authentication or integrity checking (which
is probably a stupid idea).

>   In open_client_SSL() again, the call to verify that the CN of the
>   certificate is the same as the hostname you've connected to is
>   commented out.  So you have no idea whether or not you've connected to
>   the right server.

This seems to match the pattern I described above.

--
Peter Eisentraut