Re: PyPgSQL help - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Oliver Fromme
Subject Re: PyPgSQL help
Date
List pgsql-novice
Bob Jarman wrote:
 > Off-topic re Python.  I'm trying to connect to Postgres 7.4.2 using
 > python.

I'm using PyGreSQL:  http://www.druid.net/pygresql/
You simply "import pgdb" and get a Python DB-API 2.0-
compliant interface.  Here's a short excerpt from one
of my Python programs (simplified for brevity):

    import sys
        import pgdb

        try:
                db = pgdb.connect(host = "foo.bar", database = "baz",
                                  user = "chuck", password = "xxxxxxxx")
        except pgdb.Error, detail:
                print "Cannot open connection to database!"
                print detail
                sys.exit (1)

        try:
                cursor = db.cursor()
        except pgdb.Error, detail:
                print "Cannot acquire cursor for database!"
                print detail
                sys.exit (1)

        try:
                cursor.execute ("SELECT * FROM moonlight")
                result = cursor.fetchall()
        except pgdb.DatabaseError, detail:
                print "SQL query failed!"
                print detail
                sys.exit (1)

    db.close()

The full Python DB-API 2.0 documentation can be found in
PEP 249:  http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0249.html

Best regards
   Oliver

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.