Re: Load Balancing / Failover cluster - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Oliver Fromme
Subject Re: Load Balancing / Failover cluster
Date
List pgsql-novice
Amitabh Kumar wrote:
 > We have to develop an application for one of our clients. We are considering
 > using PostgreSQL as the database. However, reliablity and scaliblity are
 > key consideration. So before we go the PostgreSQL way, I would like to be
 > sure that it supports the following features.
 >
 > 1. Load balancing using more that 2 server in active-active mode. It should
 >  be transparent to the client application. We should be able to add server
 > as and when needed as growth is still unpredictable.
 >
 > 2. Failover, where one server takes up the load in case of failover of a
 > server in the active-active cluster. Loss of last uncomitted transaction is
 > acceptable but the client application should not have to restablish connection.

I've recently (accidentally) found the following piece of
software (I wonder why it's not mentioned on postgresql.org):

http://www.csra.co.jp/~mitani/jpug/pgcluster/en/

It's is a modified version of PostgreSQL (i.e. a patchset)
supporting multi-master synchronous replication.  According
to the description, it might be exactly what you're looking
for.

Best regards
   Oliver

"It combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion different
sublanguages in one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C
with the readability of PostScript."
        -- Jamie Zawinski, when asked: "What's wrong with perl?"