Re: langauges, locales, regex, LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Matthew
Subject Re: langauges, locales, regex, LIKE
Date
List pgsql-general
> If I've read everything right, in order to get:
>
>     multiple languages on a site
>
> with the functionality of ALL of:
>
>     REGEX
>     LIKE
>     Correctly sorted text

You might want to look at this:

    http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/

to get an idea of where things stand at the Unicode Consortium.

But, for sorting mixed content, what sort order should take effect
between "now" and 「現時点」 (the latter being Japanese)?

A little more down-to-earth, would you want "genjiten" and the hiragana
equivalent, 「げんじてん」 to fold together in the collation? You
definitely would need a Japanese locale for that, if it ever could work.
(I'm not sure it could work, unless you had some way to specify the
method of romanization in a sublocale or something.)

And what happens when you mix "genjiten" with "genealogy"? Or the US
English name "Moench" with the German name using the correct character
for the "oe", with the romanized Japanese "moeru", and the same (「もえ
る」) in hiragana?

--
Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
Just ranting, ignore me.