Re: New to the list; would this be an okay question? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: New to the list; would this be an okay question?
Date
List pgsql-general
Standard questions:
- Have you VACUUMed?
- Have you VACUUM ANALYZEd?
- Have you done EXPLAIN ANALYZE on the complex queries?
- Have you put INDEXes on the appropriate columns.

You need to give more details is you want more detailed answers.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:38:14AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I am new to the list and I didn't want to seem rude at all so I
> wanted to ask if this was okay first.
>
>   I have a program I have written in perl which uses a postgresSQL
> database as the backend. The program works but the performance is really
> bad. I have been reading as much as I can on optimizing performance but
> still it isn't very reasonable. At one point I had my program able to
> process 175,000 records in 16min 10sec on a Pentium3 650MHz, 448MB RAM
> test machine. Since then I got a Pentium3 1GHz, 512MB system and I have
> tried a lot of things to get the performance up but now it is
> substantially slower and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.
>
>   Would it be appropriate to ask for help on my program on this list?
> Full disclosure: The program won't be initially GPL'ed because it is for
> my company but it will be released for free to home users and the source
> code will be made available (similar to other split-license programs)
> though once my company makes it's money back I think they will fully GPL
> it (I am on my boss's case about it :p ).
>
>   Thanks all!
>
> Madison Kelly

Attachment