Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 09:54:40AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I'm not sure this would give actual additional performance though,
> because (btree-) index creation appears to be slowed down by excessive
> unnecessary WAL traffic.  I'm sure this can be handled better; Tom Lane

It doesn't buy you linear scaling in performance, because of the WAL
issues you metioned.  But because index creation is also sort-heavy,
it's still a big help.  Chris and I know this from experience,
because we used this very strategy (his proposal, I note) in
importing the .org database.  I mentioned this approach at OSCON last
year.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner