Re: have you seen this? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan Gardner
Subject Re: have you seen this?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thursday 27 May 2004 11:36 pm, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> And that is the problem with PostgreSQL advocacy effort: they explain why
> their product is *good*, while everyone else explains why their product
> is *better*.
>
> See my point?

Compare the following two messages:

    "MySQL is horrible. Use PostgreSQL."

versus:

    "PostgreSQL is excellent. Use PostgreSQL."

In the end, that is what the PHBs (and PHP users and everyone else...) will
read and remember. Let's choose our message wisely.

I enjoy PostgreSQL half because it is superior and half because Tom Lane and
Josh Berkus and everyone else who is a contributor are just plain old nice
guys. Our community is built on friendly relationships within and without -
including the MySQL, Microsoft, and Oracle communities. Our community
includes rather than excludes. Our community encourages rather than
discourages. Our community compliments rather than criticizes. Let's keep
it that way.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@jonathangardner.net