Core vs non-Core (Was: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Core vs non-Core (Was: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 19 May 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Hans-J�rgen Sch�nig wrote:

> If people think this is a good idea I could compile and maintain this
> (source) distribution ...

I'd love to see something like this ...

One question I have is what would it take to extend teh build system in
core so that it was easier to do this?  For instance, for those wishing to
do something like this, what would it take to have it so that you could
'cvs checkout':

pgsql (the core)
pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc (from pgfoundry)
pgsql/src/interfaces/odbc (from pgfoundry)

I know that pulling in the various source codes isn't a difficult script
to write, but how about adding in the building of the included modules?
Maybe have the optional modules in a pgsql/src/modules directory?

I know its doable ... apache does it ...

... and I've seen other software/projects where configure in the root
calls configure in the modules directory itself, so that's doable ...

----