Re: PostgreSQL pre-fork speedup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From sdv mailer
Subject Re: PostgreSQL pre-fork speedup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Yes, I realize it's a bit old but I just wanted to
make a small point that forking is slower. It's funny
you should ask because thread creation on Linux has in
fact improved over process creation much more in 2.4
kernel.

Benchmark at IBM shows Linux 2.4 thread creation is
30x faster than process creation. Process creation on
Windows 2000 is about twice longer than process
creation on Linux. This means forking on Win32 will be
2x slower! See 2002 benchmark below:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-rt7/?Open&t=grl,l=252,p=mgth

Cheers,

http://cs.nmu.edu/~randy/Research/Papers/Scheduler/understanding.html