Re: PostgreSQL pre-fork speedup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From sdv mailer
Subject Re: PostgreSQL pre-fork speedup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've already tried pooling (SQLRelay) and persistent
connection (PHP). They may work for other people but
they do not work for me. I have already separated
static from database driven codes but you can never
balance web server load with database server load.
Pre-fork scales with database load and not with web
server load. This point is crucial.

Most people paying $5.99/mo for web hosting don't have
access to persistent connection or connection pooling
under PHP. Maybe this is why MySQL is favored among
them. I'm not saying this is my case, but there is a
general need for speedier connections. If you can
satisfy the needs of the mass, then you practically
won their vote. Currently MySQL connects 10x faster
than PostgreSQL. See my last benchmark.