Re: FIXED Problems when using MS Access to display - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: FIXED Problems when using MS Access to display
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 16:24:28 +1000, Simon Dobie <simon@auditbureau.org.au> wrote:
> Its ok, i managed to figure it out. the Primary Key was not being
> updated (i did make it auto update in postgress but it doesnt seem to
> auto update) so i had to manually change the unique value for the
> records (which was the same for each one.)

There is no auto update in Postgres. If you are talking about the serial
type, it is important to know that it works by having a function get a
value from a sequence as a default action. If you actually provide a
value for this column when inserting a row, that value will get used
instead of using the default action to get a value.

If you still have questions about this, if you describe precisely what you
are doing we might be able to shed more light on what is happening.