Re: Basic subtransaction facility - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Basic subtransaction facility
Date
Re: Basic subtransaction facility  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
Manfred Koizar wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:02:44 -0400, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> wrote:
> >In fact, I think we should mark ERROR as aborting the whole transaction
> >tree, and create a new level which would abort the innermost
> >subtransaction.  We would then change whatever is appropiate to the new
> >elevel.  Doing otherwise would leave us open to unexpected conditions
> >causing only subtrans abort, which could lead to unreliable behavior.
>
> Why?  Subtransaction commit propagates an error state to the parent
> transaction.  And if a subtransaction is rolled back the parent can
> continue cleanly no matter what was the reason for the subtrans abort.

I think his point was that there are some errors that should abort the
outer transaction too.  I think Alvaro mentioned out of memory, but that
is a FATAL error.  Alvaro, what error were you thinking of that should
abort the outer transaction?