Re: Basic subtransaction facility - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Manfred Koizar
Subject Re: Basic subtransaction facility
Date
Re: Basic subtransaction facility
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:02:44 -0400, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> wrote:
>In fact, I think we should mark ERROR as aborting the whole transaction
>tree, and create a new level which would abort the innermost
>subtransaction.  We would then change whatever is appropiate to the new
>elevel.  Doing otherwise would leave us open to unexpected conditions
>causing only subtrans abort, which could lead to unreliable behavior.

Why?  Subtransaction commit propagates an error state to the parent
transaction.  And if a subtransaction is rolled back the parent can
continue cleanly no matter what was the reason for the subtrans abort.

Servus
 Manfred