Re: Upcoming Features WAS: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Upcoming Features WAS: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Tim, Folks:
> I guess there's a perception that we are "above" the marketeering of MySQL
> and Microsoft, where features are promised as much as 6 years before they
> appear, or are heavily publicized while still in alpha.   So the most you'd
> be likely to get the community to commit to is maintaining a list of
> easy-to-read "Major Features in Development".

Actually, I really like this idea.  It could go like:

Feature                Lead            Status
Improved Memory Use        Jan Wieck        Complete, Committed for 7.5
HA M-S Replication        Jan Wieck        Alpha testing
PITR                    Simon Riggs    Early Development
Tablespaces            Gavin Sherry    Late Development
Integrated pg_autovacuum    Matthew O'Con.    Planning
Server Clustering        None            Developer Needed
etc.

As well as giving the press something to look at, this would give programmers
and corporate sponsors an idea of where their time/money would be of use.
And it could put to bed the myth that we're not constantly improving.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions