Re: Upcoming Features WAS: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Upcoming Features WAS: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Tim,

Ok, first off, taking this thread off Hackers where it's not necessary.

> Seriously, though. I was looking through the list yesterday trying
> to figure out something, and it was kind of hard to do.But, more to
> my point, this stuff is in the MySQL manual, making it easy to find.
> (Yes. I know what MySQL includes kind of blows, but, it's better
> than nothing)

Well, our issue is that we have a significant phobia of announcing features
that we can't deliver.    A lot of us are still embarassed over the
7.4+Windows thing.  And many, many other features got as far as a first-round
patch and then died for a variety of reasons, or have had their development
drag on for 3 years (2PC comes to mind).

I guess there's a perception that we are "above" the marketeering of MySQL and
Microsoft, where features are promised as much as 6 years before they appear,
or are heavily publicized while still in alpha.   So the most you'd be likely
to get the community to commit to is maintaining a list of easy-to-read
"Major Features in Development".

Which wouldn't be a bad idea, at that.  But not in the Docs ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions