Re: Press Release Party - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Press Release Party
Date
Re: Press Release Party  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 23 April 2004 18:22, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > The difference is that we're not a real company.  That makes us
> > > special. You're destroying that.
> >
> > How?
>
> By trying to apply the ways one supposedly runs a company to an
> open-source project.  These sort of arguments are old and boring: Some
> people claimed that your source code must be secret or you can't
> succeed.  Some claimed that your product plan must be secret or you
> can't succeed.  Some think that security issues must be kept secret or
> there will be a catastrophe.  Or some people were wondering whether
> promotion activities should be kept secret for fear of someone spying.
> They were all wrong, and I feel sorry for the people who think that
> press releases must be secret or they will be worthless.

Well said Peter.  Josh, can you speak to whether or not there are other
parties involved in the press release that need us to keep the discussion
secret? If so then I think we need to respect that desire, but I'm not sure
if that is actually the case.  Peter, given your analogy, I think Josh can
take the discussion about a press release off-list in order to get something
of quality put together and then post that for public review before sending
it out (like someone saying I want to code feature x, getting a few guys to
help him on it, and then posting the results to patches before it gets
included).  Do you see any problems with that?

Robert Treat