Re: distinct values without seq scan - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: distinct values without seq scan
Date
List pgsql-sql
Bret,

> I have a table indexed on a char(35) field and want a query to return a
> distinct list of the values in this column.  Is there some syntactical
> magic I can do to get these values without a sequential scan?  I assume,
> ( here we go again ) that these values are in the index somewhere and I
> seem to recall a select DISTINCT using an index in DB2 way back when but
> I may be mistaken.
>
> Searching the archives I found an email that indicated this was possible
> in 7.4 and infact is the reason I upgraded from 7.2x.

Well, leaving aside that you have a data normalization issue (these values
should really be in a reference list with an FK), to take advantage of the
7.4 optimization, try:

SELECT advertiser FROM logrecords GROUP BY advertiser ORDER BY advertiser;

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions