Re: createused + createdb problems with passwords - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: createused + createdb problems with passwords
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 24 March 2004 00:00, ogjunk-pg@yahoo.com wrote:

> bash-2.05b$ tail -5 ~postgres/data/pg_hba.conf
> host    all     all     MY.IP.IS.HERE   255.255.255.255 md5
>
> bash-2.05b$ createuser -h MY.IP.IS.HERE otis

> psql: FATAL:  Password authentication failed for user "postgres"

> -- Question: what password am I supposed to enter here?
> -- I suppose it's the postgres user's _DB_ password - but how do I know
> what it is?  I didn't set it.

Which is your problem. You've told it to use md5 passwords for ALL databases
and ALL users connecting to that IP and you don't have a password to match
against.

If that's what you want, make sure you have local access set to
"trust"/"ident" (there's an example in the file) and then set a password for
user postgres. You can then set local access to md5 if you like, but you'll
want something else for that first password.

Note - local is different from localhost/127.0.0.1 - it's using unix sockets
not tcp/ip sockets.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd