Re: 7.4.1 upgrade issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: 7.4.1 upgrade issues
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:12:57PM -0800, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> I upgraded my main production db from 7.3.4 last night to 7.4.1.  I'm
> running into an issue where a big query that may take 30-40 seconds to
> reply is holding up all other backends from performing their queries.

By "holding up", do you mean that it's causing the other transactions
to block (INSERT WAITING, for instance), or that it's making
everything real slow?

It could be your sort_mem is set too high.  Remember that the
new-in-7.4 hash behaviour works with the sort_mem setting, and if
it's set too high and you have enough cases of this, you might
actually cause your box to start swapping.

> and disk speed.  I've considered renicing the processes, I was wondering

That is unlikely to help, and certainly won't if the queries are
actually blocked.

--
Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.