Re: Proposed Query Planner TODO items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From markw@osdl.org
Subject Re: Proposed Query Planner TODO items
Date
Re: Proposed Query Planner TODO items  (Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
On  6 Feb, To: tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:
> On  5 Jan, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>>> 2) DEVELOP BETTER PLANS FOR "OR GROUP" QUERIES

>>> the planner into canonical and-or filters resulting in very poor execution on
>>> large data sets.   We should find better ways of dealing with these queries,
>>> for example UNIONing.

>>> into a query (#19) which took several hours to complete on PostgreSQL.

http://developer.osdl.org/markw/dbt3-pgsql/

There's a short summary of the tests I ran over the weekend, with links
to detailed retults.  Comparing runs 43 (7.4) and 52 (7.5devel), it
looks like query #7 had the only significant improvement.  Oprofile data
should be there too, if that'll help.  Let us know if there's anything
else we can try for you.

Mark