Re: Getting table attributes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Getting table attributes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 04:53:47PM +0000, C G wrote:

> I'm trying to get a table containing all the user created tables, which
> contains the column name and their types. Basically,  I want to be able to
> do "\d all_user_tables" - but I can't use the \d notation.
>
> I tried to combine the pg_ tables, but I couldn't get what I wanted (due to
> my lack of skill).
>
> Any ideas?

If you start psql with the -E flag then it'll show you the SQL query
it generates for the various \commands as you run them.

If you're using a recent version of postgres you can probably find the
data in a more version-independent way within information_schema, but I've
not played with that yet.

Cheers,
  Steve