Re: Embedded transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Embedded transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
John Wells wrote:
> On this page: http://www.compiere.org/technology/independence.html, the
> project leader of Compiere (a popular ERP package) states that the move to
> Postgres failed because of lack of support of embedded
> transactions...something both Oracle and DB2 support.
>
> Can someone explain to me excactly what embedded transactions are and why
> they're challenging enough to not be included in Postgres or MySQL?  I'm
> guessing it's some sort of begin/commit/rollback transactions within
> being/commit/rollback blocks, but I may be trivializing it.

They want:

    BEGIN;
    INSERT
    BEGIN;
    INSERT;
    -- failure
    ROLLBACK;
    INSERT;
    COMMIT;

so if the insert fails, they can continue with their transactions.  They
are kind of hard to do, but we are working on it:

    http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/project