Embedded transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Wells
Subject Embedded transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
On this page: http://www.compiere.org/technology/independence.html, the
project leader of Compiere (a popular ERP package) states that the move to
Postgres failed because of lack of support of embedded
transactions...something both Oracle and DB2 support.

Can someone explain to me excactly what embedded transactions are and why
they're challenging enough to not be included in Postgres or MySQL?  I'm
guessing it's some sort of begin/commit/rollback transactions within
being/commit/rollback blocks, but I may be trivializing it.

Thanks,
John