Re: FTP Mirrors (was Re: Rewriting the website) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: FTP Mirrors (was Re: Rewriting the website)
Date
Re: FTP Mirrors (was Re: Rewriting the website)  (Jussi Mikkola <jussi.mikkola@bonware.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat wrote:
> do you have a breakdown on what the official directory
> structure ought to look like, and how many mirrors would be affected
> if we dropped them for non-compliance?

I think the directory structure should mirror exactly
ftp.postgresql.org, so I can go to ftp.xx.postgresql.org and find the
same things in the same places.  If someone wants to mirror with
arbitrary directory structure, they can do that, but since you're going
to have to go through the web page anyway they don't have to carry the
postgresql.org domain at all.

Right now, virtually no mirrors follow that rule.  Is it so hard to set
up virtual hosts on ftp servers?