Re: FTP Mirrors (was Re: Rewriting the website) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jussi Mikkola
Subject Re: FTP Mirrors (was Re: Rewriting the website)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Robert Treat wrote:
>

>>do you have a breakdown on what the official directory
>>structure ought to look like, and how many mirrors would be affected
>>if we dropped them for non-compliance?
>>

>I think the directory structure should mirror exactly
>ftp.postgresql.org, so I can go to ftp.xx.postgresql.org and find the
>same things in the same places.  If someone wants to mirror with
>arbitrary directory structure, they can do that, but since you're going
>to have to go through the web page anyway they don't have to carry the
>postgresql.org domain at all.
>
>Right now, virtually no mirrors follow that rule.  Is it so hard to set
>up virtual hosts on ftp servers?

I don't have first hand experience, but I think the mirrors have their
own way to do things, and that is what they want to follow. I looked at
www.se.postgresql.org, and that seems to be ftp.sunet.se. It mirrors
_very_ many web sites, distributions, etc. (I looked at ftp.funet.fi,
and they have content even for hp48sx (calculator). They have about 1
terabyte of software. ). So I don't think they want to do much work to
have something somewhere. You might ask them nicely, what they think,
and they will propably answer, but if you insist, that they will do
something, then they propably prefer not to mirror.

In principle, the more mirrors there are, the faster it is to download.

I think that we need to take care of it, that the links point to the
right place in the mirror site.

Rgs,

Jussi