Re: A briefing is needed... - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: A briefing is needed...
Date
List pgsql-www
Dave Page wrote:
> That's not exactly the case. It can be easily redesigned, however we
> have other priorities right now which are more difficult - eg.
> Internationalisation.

The internationalization system I see in CVS right now doesn't look very
well thought out.  Separating the text from the context where it will
appear will not make the site very maintainable.  Plus, it doesn't look
like this system is going to have a lot of external tool support for
editing, verifying, and updating translations.  The same mistakes have
been made before, see catgets, Java properties, various similar
key=>string attempts.  Check out WML and gettext for better approaches.
Not only do they fulfill the criterion of not separating text from
context, they also have tool support and are actually used in
situations similar to ours.