Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Peter,
>
> > Well, what do you try to achieve?
>
> Well, I think that's what's at issue here.   Rob wants some feedback from us
> on what the thrust of our printed materials should be so that he can help us
> develop some.   He's not really interested in organizing the community;
> that's my job and yours.
>
> Not everyone who wants to contribute to PostgreSQL is willing to operate an
> industrial-strength mail client.   Nor should they be required to, or we
> restrict ourselves to only contributions from a subset of our users.
>
> So, either we hash this out here without CC'ing Rob and get back to him in a
> week or so; or we take it to a seperate forum where tangents will be
> prohibited so that Rob can have a level of participation which he has time
> for.  I take it you'd prefer the former approach?

I prefer the former also ... if all he wants is a "summary" of opinions,
give him that summary ... but I think we as a community will lose if we
great yet another mailing list just for the purposes of discussing one
aspect of advocacy ...

As for 'heavy duty mail readers' ... I run pine, and with about 3 key
strokes, I can setup a filter that ignores a particulary subject/thread
... unless Rob is using the 'mail' command from the Unix shell, there is
probably some sort of filtering capability he can use ...

----