Re: Notation of index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Notation of index
Date
List pgsql-sql
Andreas wrote:
> Why can['t] we use INDEX the same way as UNIQUE ?
> Perhaps even as in
>   numba   INT4    NOT NULL    INDEX

If the choice were just index or no index, then this might be ok, but
when you create an index you can choose the index type, the operator
class, a partial index predicate, so the notation would quickly become
complicated.  You can also consider similar arguments about why rules
and triggers are created separately.

What would clearly be useful is a way to automatically generate names
for indexes.  Maybe we should think about implementing something for
that.