Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Chris Travers wrote:
> I personally think that breaking the law is a last resort.
>
> Ghandi was successful.  The successes of the Tieneman(sp?) square protesters
> is only now really becoming apparent, as well.  The point is that when it is
> the last resort, it should be done , with one's identity known.
>
> You cannot compare anonymously downloading pirated software or music to the
> legitimate acts of civil disobedience.  The point is that civil
> disobedience, done publicly and strongly, sends a powerful message, and
> the message is all the more powerful based on the willingness to spend time
> in jail over it.
>
> I am all for destroying our system of record labels today (I do NOT think
> they serve much of a purpose anymore) but you have to replace it with
> something better, not just hoping that the RIAA will eventually decide to
> change their strategies.  The only change that will happen here will be a
> hardening of it.
>
> If you want to pirate music as civil disobedience, actually do something
> noteworthy and send letters to the law enforcement agencies documenting your
> approach and why you are doing it.  Indicate that you will IN NO WAY pay
> damages to the RIAA or any related companies, and are willing to spend years
> in jail as a way of proving your point.  Then publicize, publicize,
> publicize.  But I do not think that this is necessary... yet...

Yes, I think the big point is whether you are gaining anything
personally from the illegal activities.  If you are, you have to ask
yourself if you are doing it because you want to protest or because you
want to get benefit from the action.

I don't think in the Ghandi or Tieneman cases that the protesters
benefited, and in fact went through great hardship.  It was clear that
they were doing it out of conscious.  The MP3/DVD/Kazaa cases are
unclear because there is benefit from the actions.

Frankly I think 99% of it is getting something for free, and I think it
is more prevalent because it is so _easy_ to do.  It is not like walking
into a bank and taking money, and it isn't taking something that
deprives someone else of also having it, so it has a shared value that
doesn't diminish if multiple people own it, which also make it more
prevalent.

[ Am I far enough off topic yet?  :-) ]