Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date
[OT]"Copyright infringement" vs "piracy" (was Re: Paypal)  (Alex Satrapa <alex@lintelsys.com.au>)
List pgsql-advocacy
I personally think that breaking the law is a last resort.

Ghandi was successful.  The successes of the Tieneman(sp?) square protesters
is only now really becoming aparent, as well.  The point is that when it is
the last resort, it should be done publically, with one's identity known.

You cannot compare anonymously downloading pirated software or music to the
legitimate acts of civil disobedience.  The point is that civil
disobedience, done publically and strongly, sends a powerful message, and
the message is all the more powerful based on the willingness to spend time
in jail over it.

I am all for destroying our system of record labels today (I do NOT think
they serve much of a purpose anymore) but you have to replace it with
something better, not just hoping that the RIAA will eventually decide to
change their strategies.  The only change that will happen here will be a
hardening of it.

If you want to pirate music as civil disobedience, actually do something
noteworthy and send letters to the law enforcement agencies documenting your
approach and why you are doing it.  Indicate that you will IN NO WAY pay
damages to the RIAA or any related companies, and are willing to spend years
in jail as a way of proving your point.  Then publicize, publicize,
publicize.  But I do not think that this is necessary... yet...
Best Wishes,
Chrs Travers