Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Guys,

> and FWIW, I've never had any Paypal problems.

Most of us are remembering the Abiword debacle, where a someone robbed
Abiword's donations account by exploiting a known flaw in Paypal's system,
and when the Abiword people complained Paypal cancelled their account and
threatened them with litigation. Despite the change of management at Paypal,
neither an apology nor a restoration of funds has been made to Abiword.

Also, Paypal continues to require an agreement which says that they are not
responsible for malfeasance even by one of their employees or because failure
to fix a known security flaw.   And EBay hasn't exactly had a stellar track
record when it comes to fraud claims.

While on a risk management side, we can simple clear our Paypal account weekly
and be relatively safe.   But I'm quite set against validating Paypal's way
of doing business by using them.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions