Re: improve routine vacuuming docs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: improve routine vacuuming docs
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway wrote:
> This patch makes some improvements and adds some details to the
> documentation on routine database maintenance activities. Any
> comments on the new text would be appreciated.

It's kind of hard to see what you have really changed.  Can you provide
a summary?

> I also corrected a bunch of instances of SGML usage. One of these
> days I'll get around to writing a style guide for the PostgreSQL SGML
> docs...

Please do.  But note that the first thing I'd add to such a document
would be not to write things like that:

    You should <command>VACUUM</command> your database every day.

Instead, either write

    You should vacuum your database every day.

or

    You should run the command <command>VACUUM</command> in your
    database every day.

If you need a verb, write a verb; don't abuse nouns.