Re: Cron-job for checking up on pg_autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Creager
Subject Re: Cron-job for checking up on pg_autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
When grilled further on (Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:19:32 -0500),
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> confessed:

> I know I heard from at least one person who said they were running it
> from there inittab with respawn, which seems like overkill.

Nah, it works great (it was me).  I just had an unclean shutdown/reboot, and
pg_autovacuum couldn't connect on start because PGSQL was coming up.  inittab
took note of the quick respawning and put a 5 minute delay in there.  And I got
to ignore it.

Also works great when PGSQL is down for any reason.  You don't have to worry
about stopping/starting pg_autovacuum...

Overkill is a good thing!  It keeps stuff working ;-)

Cheers,
Rob

my /etc/inittab line (Mandrake 9.1 system)

vac:235:respawn:su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_autovacuum -d 0"

--
 22:06:18 up 2 days,  4:12,  1 user,  load average: 2.11, 2.15, 2.17

Attachment