Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 27 November 2003 04:18, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Chris Travers wrote:
<snip explination of postgresql cacheing tables in memory>

> Hope this helps. I would be interested in numbers that say postgresql is
> slower than mysql heap tables. (You can force postgresql to load entire
> table by doin select * from table. Of course the table is expected to be
> small enough.. Then compare the results. It will always be slow first
> time..)

the difference is  that with mysql, nothing pushes the table out of memory; it
always stays in memory.  in postgresql, a big query on another tables, or
perhaps a vacuum, or other highly active applications on the same server can
cause the small tables to be pushed out of memory.   both approches have
positives and negatives, and in many cases you would probably notice no
differance

Robert Treat