Re: Stored procedures and relations - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Stored procedures and relations
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, FET wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I have a stored procedure that drops table A and then creates table A
> again. The table A has no constraints on any columns. When I execute
> the stored procedure by saying: SELECT sp_myproc(); It gives me an
> error saying : Relation 68428 does not exist.
>
> When I remove the CREATE FUNCTION and the stuff used to make it a
> stored procedure, and run the commands in the procedure, it works
> correctly.
>
> This behaviour is observed on all stored procedures on PG-SQL. I would
> really appreciate any help or interpretation of this error. By the
> way, the same stored procedure (with the syntax changed of course)
> works perfectly on MS SQL Server.

You haven't given too many details about what your function does, but, in
general if you're accessing a table whose structure is being dynamically
modified during/between calls, you'll currently want to be using EXECUTE
on queries relating to that table.