Re: Lock strategies! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Lock strategies!
Date
List pgsql-general
It seems to me there is a confusion about identifiers. There is the primary
key of the table which should be a sequence and may have holes. Seperate
from that is the CustomerFriendlyID which is an ID you can assign and
reassign at your leasure. For a bank, the statement numbers all start from one
for each customer so they're not useful as a global identifier anyway.

In your case below, once you've signed the paper-work, the policy is a legal
document and would need to be kept even if it never was activated.

IMHO, most people looking for no-hole-sequences are using the primary keys
for Bad Things (tm).

Hope this helps,