Re: Lock strategies! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Uwe C. Schroeder
Subject Re: Lock strategies!
Date
List pgsql-general

Actually in this case you don't have a hole.
Yes you created the next policy (in this case, may be any similar situation).
But the customer already signed the contract. This means even if he opts out
of it, a record has to be kept. In some areas this is even a legal
requirement. So you don't rollback, you just mark the record as "inactive"
"cancelled" or whatever the situation stipulates. In case of a commercial
insurance policy in California most likely the customer would have to pay a
penalty - usually a percentage of the premium - so you have to keep the
record. You also may want to keep the record to deny further requests from
this customer, or to simply warn the customer rep that this customer is a
"drop out" type.
So it's not a gap in the numbering. As Martijn already pointed out: don't
confuse this with an internal record sequence, which you should never ever
give to the "user" as an id or something. The requirement for record
sequences (usually the primary key or part of it) is uniqueness.

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 07:19 pm, Dave Cramer wrote:
> How can you avoid holes?
>
> Unless you void policies that people cancel halfway through the process
> ? How is that different than rollback?
>
> Lets say that the customer goes through the motions and after signing
> the papers, and then during the cooling off period (mandatory in Canada)
> decides he really doesn't want the policy (rollback). A policy number
> must have been assigned. So now we have a hole ?
>
> Dave
>
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 19:07, Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:
> >

> > Obviously depends on the carrier. Lloyds for example doesn't allow
> > numbering gaps. But as said: doing it in a fully isolated stored proc
> > usually works. The stp I use also assembles the alpha part, so I end up
> > with something like AA-0001234 in a fixed width format.
> >
> > On Tuesday 25 November 2003 08:40 am, Marc A. Leith wrote:
> > > Actually, in practice Policy & Certificate 'numbers' only need to be
> > > unique. Insurance companies (at least those we deal with) have no
> > > restriction that there can be no holes. In fact, one of our clients has
> > > a huge gap in the sequence.
> > >
> > > Likewise - they aren't usually strictly numeric, consisting of ALPHA
> > > and NUMERIC components. Ie. AA000001 AA000002 ... AA999999 AB000001.
> > >
> > > A better example - is Invoice Numbers. Accountants hate the gaps, since
> > > they leave room for fraud and make collection difficult.
> > >
> > > That said - our implementation for unique ids is either use sequences
> > > or to encapsulate the logic in a Stored Proc. and ensure that these
> > > tranasactions are fully isolated.
> > >
> > > Marc A. Leith
> > > redboxdata inc.
> > >
> > > E-mail:mleith@redboxdata.com

> > - --
> >     UC
> >
> > - --
> > Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
> > Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
> > Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
> > Fax:    +1 650 872 2417

> >       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> >       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

- --
    UC

- --