Re: logical column position - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: logical column position
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:
>
> > BTW, one main consideration is that all the postgres admin apps will now
> > need to support ORDER BY attlognum for 7.5+.
>
> But that is only really important if they've also used the ALTER TABLE
> RESHUFFLE COLUMNS feature.  So if they make one alteration for 7.5, they
> need to do another.  That seems fair.

The ability to reshuffle and to get the correct ordering in a client app
are separate unless we're going to assume that all access goes through
that particular client.  If one user uses psql and shuffles them, a
second user using fooclient may not see the new ordering.