Re: cvs head? initdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: cvs head? initdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> >> Yeah, there was a problem with *extreme* sharing ... the code tried to
> >> use the same buffer for multiple disk blocks at the same time, and
> >> somehow the backends did not agree on the correct content. But it's
> >> fixed and back in. You can see ARC working by setting
> >>
> >>      buffer_strategy_status_interval = 10 # seconds

The above line is the one I was asking about?  Does that just control
debug output interval?  If so, it should be named more appropriately.

> >> and starting postmaster with -d1
> >
> > It is not on by default?
> >

> Sure not. Why would someone turn on debug messages by default?
>
> Or did you mean ARC itself? Since it replaced the old LRU code, it is
> the only choice you have now. Which sort of raises the question if we
> would want to have multiple choices, like a config option
>
> buffer_replacement_strategy = lru|lru2|arc

No, I don't see much value to this and would encourage people to play
with something that probably is is of little value.

Pennsylvania19073