Re: Schema boggle... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Schema boggle...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chris,

>  I work with Marc Fournier, for those who don't know, and have been
> working extensively with the schemas feature for Hub.Org's new Account
> Management package. Each client's data is stored in a seperate schema
> set asside just for them (though they will never have direct access to
> it, it helps us "balance" out the data. Each schema has the same set of
> tables, with which different data is stored, depending on the client.

While this is an interesting use of Schema, it is not, IMHO, a good way to
partition client data.    Far better to have monolithic tables with a
"client_id" column and then construct *views* which are available in each
schema only to that client.   Otherwise, as you've discovered, top-level
management becomes a royal pain.

I'd be happy to discuss this further on PGSQL-SQL, which is really the
appropriate mailing list.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco