Re: Newbie-question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff
Subject Re: Newbie-question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:14:51 +0100
Victor Spång Arthursson <victor@tosti.dk> wrote:

> Are presently converting from mysql to postgresql, and my first
> newbiequestion is how to make all the rows in a result from a select
> just "swosh" by? That is, I dont want to see them page for page; just
> to scroll by so I can se the last line with the number of corresponding
> rows.

1. in psql, \pset pager will turn paging off.
Although, if you really want a row count, a much better way to do that is select count(*) from [rest of select
statement]

> And is there a way to see how long time a query took to execute without
> running a EXPLAIN ANALYSE on the query?

in psql, use \timing and it will print how long each query you type in took.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/