Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 04:41:16PM -0500, John DeSoi wrote:

> On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 10:16 AM, Adam Witney wrote:
>
> >Ah, yes I did change these... Mine are set to
> >
> >    sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304
> >    sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
> >    sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
> >    sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
> >    sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=1024
>

> OK, this is what I was after. I did not have to change any of this for
> 7.3, but now 7.4 does not work unless on a standard OS X installation
> unless the user modifies these system settings.

Huh, this is strange.  IIRC during the installation process, initdb is
supposed to determine which values actually work; those are affected by
the shmmax operating system mostly, and the idea is to enable the
installation process to pick more reasonable values out-of-the-box for
memory usage that will work on your system.

How did you install Postgres, and what values did initdb pick for
shared_buffers and max_connections?

"Puedes vivir solo una vez, pero si lo haces bien, una vez es suficiente"