Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4
Date
Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4  (Adam Witney <awitney@sghms.ac.uk>)
List pgsql-general
Adam,

On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 10:16 AM, Adam Witney wrote:

> Ah, yes I did change these... Mine are set to
>
>     sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304
>     sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
>     sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
>     sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
>     sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=1024

OK, this is what I was after. I did not have to change any of this for
7.3, but now 7.4 does not work unless on a standard OS X installation
unless the user modifies these system settings. I can live with it, but
I was hoping it might be a bug that could be resolved before the final
7.4. Every person that installs on OS X is going to run into this.
Tracking it down and understanding what you have to change is not
simple for us OS X users that are not familiar with Unix :).

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.