Re: Casing: bug? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Casing: bug?
Date
List pgsql-general
If you put quotes arounds the table name when you create it, then you will
need then whenever you refer to it also. If when you create the table you
don't use quotes, then you won't need then during the query either, as the
documentation says.

Without quotes, Postgresql is neither case-sensetive nor case-preserving.
With quotes it's both.

Hoe this helps,

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:43:58AM +0000, Vadim Chekan wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have quite problem with PG 7.3 & 7.4b5
> I create tables using pgAdmin3 v-1.0.1
> I created a table "xType". Pay attention to capital "T" letter.
> Than I tryed to insert data to it using psql tool.
> But I have error: 'ERROR:  relation "xtype" does not exist'
> In error all chars are small!
> If I create table in pgAdmin using all small chars, everithing works fine.
>
> Note: when I create table with a capital chars from psql, it is created with
> small chars.
>
> Ok, as I write this mail I found ansver to my question: I have to wrap table
> names in quote chars to avoid downcasing. I have to write:
> select * from "xType";
> than it works.
>
> So now question is: why "select * from xTypes" is a wrong query, why table
> name is downcasing if it is not wrapped in quote? Is it a bug, or it's
> according to some standard?
>
> Doesn't it violate documentation:
> ==========================
> Identifier and key word names are case insensitive. Therefore
> UPDATE MY_TABLE SET A = 5;
>  can equivalently be written as
> uPDaTE my_TabLE SeT a = 5;
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vadim Chekan.

> "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
> men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
> "The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
> governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato

Attachment